More than 90 percent of adults between the ages of 20 and 64 have some degree of tooth decay, and cavities are one of the most common oral health issues we treat at Advanced Dental Center in Plano, TX. Once Dr. Christine Hopkins has removed the decay and cleaned your tooth, she will place a dental filling to replace the lost tissue.
If you are looking for a respected dental practice to address your restorative and cosmetic needs, look no further than Advanced Dental Center. We look forward to restoring the health of your smile and helping you keep it that way.
Benefits of Dental Fillings
Dental fillings provide several oral health benefits. Patients can even experience cosmetic benefits when tooth-colored composite fillings are used to treat cavities or replace older metal fillings. Patients who undergo dental fillings placement at our dental practice can experience:
- An affordable procedure: Most dental insurance plans cover part or all of the cost of having dental fillings placed. Even if you pay out of pocket, fillings are not cost-prohibitive. Dental fillings can prevent the need for more costly restorative treatments as well.
- Preservation of your natural tooth structure: After the decayed tissue has been removed, dental fillings will replace the lost tissue. The restorative treatment preserves the remaining tooth structure and prevents further decay.
- Long-term treatment: Depending on the type of material you use, your filings can last several years or longer if properly maintained with daily hygiene and six-month checkups.
- Restoration of oral health: Infections and decay will continue to spread if left untreated. By removing decay and bacteria from your teeth, you can prevent more serious dental problems, such as an abscess or root canal infection.
Dental fillings can be placed during one short visit to our Plano office.
Am I a Candidate?
If you have a toothache or have suffered sudden sensitivity to hot and cold, you may have a cavity. Cavities are not always visible, but they can sometimes appear as a dark pit on the surface of a tooth. Once a cavity has formed, it will continue to grow unless it is professionally treated.
Risk factors for cavities include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Age (Cavities are more common among children)
- Poor diet
- Gum disease
- Family history of cavities
- Dry mouth syndrome
During your exam at our dental practice, Dr. Hopkins will inquire into your symptoms while visually examining your teeth. X-rays or digital images will be taken if needed. If you are found to have a cavity, the decay will be treated at that time or a separate appointment. Candidates for dental fillings do not have to have a cavity. Many of our patients seek composite fillings as a replacement for metal fillings. The composite resin can be color-matched to perfectly match the shade of your natural teeth.
A Look at the Procedure
Dental fillings can be placed during one short visit to our Plano office. First, Dr. Hopkins will carefully remove the decayed tissue from your tooth. Once all of the decay has been removed, the surface of your tooth will be thoroughly cleaned. Then, the filling material will be placed. A special UV light is used to harden composite fillings. Once the filling has hardened, Dr. Hopkins will test your bite to ensure that the fillings will not interfere with the balance of your bite.
Schedule Your Next Visit Today
If you have concerns about the affordability of any of our treatments, we gladly accept CareCredit® financing. Dental fillings are an effective treatment to restore lost tooth structure following the treatment of a cavity. If you are ready to experience the benefits of this restorative treatment, we welcome you to contact our Plano office online or to call (972) 842-4611.
"I have been going to Dr. Hopkins for years now. I was looking for a general dentist but also a doctor that also had a prosthodontist background so any major work that I would require in the future could be done by the doctor who has regularly worked on me. Dr Hopkins has met and even exceeded my expectations in oral care."Julie W.