Dental Implants Are The Best Option For Replacing Missing Teeth
Dental implants replace a missing tooth by inserting a titanium rod into your jawbone to mimic the function of a tooth’s root. As you heal from placement, your oral tissues fuse with the implant post to hold it there permanently, providing support for the rest of your life. While a general dentist can perform this procedure, Dr. Christine Hopkins enjoys her status as one of Plano, TX’s, top prosthodontists. She provides the level of expertise necessary to manage complex cases and ensure the best care possible.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants represent a cutting-edge solution for missing teeth, offered by Advanced Dental Center. These implants, expertly placed by our renowned dentist in Plano, TX, Dr. Hopkins, serve as a robust and permanent base for replacement teeth. They are designed to mimic the root structure of natural teeth, providing a stable foundation for artificial teeth that look, feel, and function like your own. Dental implants not only enhance your smile aesthetically but also contribute to overall oral health by preserving bone structure and preventing the shifting of adjacent teeth.
The Benefits of Implants
Dental implants offer numerous benefits, making them a popular choice for tooth replacement for all ages.
- They provide a natural appearance, as they are custom-made to match the color and shape of your existing teeth.
- Their stability and strength ensure efficient chewing and speaking, akin to natural teeth.
- Implants promote oral health by preserving jawbone integrity and preventing bone loss.
- Unlike bridges or dentures, they don’t require altering adjacent teeth, thus maintaining more of your natural tooth structure.
- Implants have a high success rate and are known for their durability, often lasting a lifetime with proper care.
Choose dental implants with Dr. Hopkins for a seamless, functional, and long-lasting solution to tooth loss.
What To Expect
The process of getting dental implants is a multi-step procedure that involves several stages, each crucial for ensuring the success and longevity of the implant. Here’s a detailed breakdown:
- Initial Consultation: The first step involves a thorough examination by Dr. Hopkins. This includes dental X-rays and possibly 3D imaging to assess the health of your jawbone and the positioning of surrounding structures (nerves, sinuses). A detailed treatment plan is formulated based on this assessment.
- Preparation: If there’s insufficient jawbone or if it’s too soft, you might need bone grafting before implant placement. This process involves taking bone from another part of your body or using a special bone grafting material to reinforce the jawbone. Healing from this procedure can take several months.
- Implant Placement: Once your jawbone is ready, the dental implant, made of titanium, is surgically placed into the jawbone. It serves as a new root for the artificial tooth. After the implant is placed, a healing period (osseointegration) begins, allowing the implant to fuse with the bone. This process can take several months.
- Abutment Placement: After osseointegration, a second minor surgery is done to place the abutment — the piece where the crown will eventually attach. This procedure is typically quick and involves reopening the gum to expose the implant and attaching the abutment.
- Impressions for the New Tooth: Once your gums heal, more impressions of your mouth and remaining teeth are taken. These impressions are used to make the crown — your realistic-looking artificial tooth.
- Crown Attachment: The final step involves attaching the custom-made crown to the abutment. The crown is either cemented or screwed onto the abutment, ensuring that it fits with your natural teeth in color, shape, and function.
- Follow-up and Care: Regular follow-up visits are crucial to monitor the implant, surrounding teeth, and gums to ensure everything is functioning well. Good oral hygiene and regular dental check-ups are vital to maintain the health and longevity of the implant.
This entire process can take a few months from start to finish. Much of that time is devoted to healing and waiting for the growth of new bone in your jaw. Despite the lengthy process, dental implants are considered the gold standard for tooth replacement due to their natural appearance, function, and durability.
Selecting A Dental Implant Specialist
When deciding whether to replace your missing tooth with a dental implant or another restorative option, you should take into account who is placing your implant. While an implant improves the look and function of your smile beyond what certain alternatives can provide, they require oral surgery and a longer recovery period. By choosing a skilled implant specialist, you can feel more confident in your treatment outcome. Dr. Hopkins’ expertise can even reduce your recovery time by providing a more precise placement with less disturbance to the surrounding oral tissues.
Am I A Candidate For Dental Implants?
While dental implants are the most secure option for missing teeth, they require a healthy jawbone for placement. We will conduct a thorough examination of your jawbone’s density to determine if implants are the best solution for you. Similarly, your implant posts require healthy gum tissue to seal in place. This means that any active periodontal concerns must be addressed before placing implants.
Restoring Multiple Missing Teeth
You have multiple options for your above-the-gum restoration depending upon the severity of your dental loss. For individual missing teeth, we can attach a dental crown to an abutment at the end of your implant post. When your needs are more advanced, we can combine dentures with dental implants to provide a far more secure fit. While traditional dentures can fall out and must be refitted to address your shrinking jawbone, implant-secured dentures stimulate your jaw like natural teeth. This helps maintain your face shape without the worry of unintended movement.
We Offer Dental Implants in Plano, TX!
Embark on the path to a flawless smile with Advanced Dental Center. Whether it’s through dental implants or other restorative treatments, Dr. Hopkins and our dedicated team are committed to providing top-notch dental care tailored to your needs. Don’t let missing teeth hold you back any longer. Schedule your consultation today to explore your options and take the first step towards a healthier, more confident smile.
We Transform Smiles Every Day
Now It’s Your Turn
Looking forward to your next visit? Contact us today to experience the Advanced Dental Center difference.